BURYING A DEER SKULL! Does it work??

1575242048_maxresdefault.jpg

Buried for ONE YEAR! I’ve always wondered if I could get away with burying my deer skulls instead of boiling them or taking them to a taxidermist.

44 Responses to “BURYING A DEER SKULL! Does it work??”

1. I would hang it from a limb to where animals couldnโ€™t reach it yet flys could get to it, Flys make maggots and the maggots are what clean it up!!

2. The Huntsman says:

Put it on an ant hill an cover it with a tub.

3. I put one up in the tree and itโ€™s still there after I can remember how many years ๐Ÿ˜‚.

4. J Feldhacker says:

Now stick the deer skull on your trucks grill

5. David Lewis says:

I always boil em for skull mount. Afraid to bury em critters might get em

6. Bee American says:

well booger face there's a lot of ways to do it I like the boy one but you have to be careful putting it outside squirrels will eat the antlers and I understand the weather in the sun and the wind and the rain are part of it

7. You should look at whitebone creations process on YouTube works great.

8. Jason Schaub says:

Burying really stains the skull. I take my climber up a tree and hang em where the squirrels wont chew on them. Takes longer, but works well. Really bad " air freshener" for awhile though!

9. John Zarn says:

Do you think you shouldโ€™ve buried it deeper?

10. Zulu 5 Oscar says:

I boil mine, but I have friends who have tried the places that use beetles to clean them. Good results, but at a cost. Boiling and burying are free ๐Ÿ‘

11. Just bouncing some ideas. But would it make sense to cut and boil off all surface flesh. Then bury to remove brain matter and other stuff stuck in cavities. Then finally boil in peroxide mix to whiten? Just seems like the most time efficient. Without pressure washing, and using something to pull brains out.

12. Hi allie — I used to boil my skulls. Now I simply skin the head rinse good and tie up in trash bags (for large skulls I did 4 buffalo , I water buffalo, and a yack this way) then set them outside to let nature take its course. Before long the beetles will find it and clean skull for you.
    After it is cleaned they have the natural brown color like nicks did. To whiten I like using a flat white paint as if you leave to long in peroxide and white 40% it can break down the skull.
    God bless you….curt

13. Michael Pate says:

Try a ant bed next time

14. Jim Vaughn says:

What never seems to go away with a buried skull is the smell. I had a taxidermist that had a small stream behind his shop. He would put the skulls in a fishnet bag and leave in the stream for several months. I prefer boiling/peroxide.

15. Iโ€™ve done a couple. Boiled and buried. I prefers the buried. Less work lol. Iโ€™ve been told to use peroxide instead of bleach. Bleach deteriorates the bone making it soft. The negative about boiling is it turns the antlers black if you canโ€™t keep them out of the water.

16. shawn heater says:

I've buried 2. Both in November and dig them up in March. A little dawn. Then bleach. Good to go.

17. Jerry D says:

Thanks for the comparison, I'll definitely stick with boiling. Maybe if they skull was buried in a sandy desert type environment it might provide better results.

18. Bruce Mckay says:

You two "do not" live where there is Snow DO YOU? You two did drive up to where the Skull was and then drove Back I hope. If not, How do you two handle the Bloody COLD. There is SNOW for God Sake, how do you live There? Honestly? Regards Bruce McKay ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ™ƒ๐Ÿ„โ€โ™‚๏ธ.

19. G Lewis says:

Before burrying an animal skull I'd advise you to watch the documentary Pet Cemetary.

20. Joel Rhoades says:

I live in northern Indiana, on a channel to 5 lakes. I hung a scull with paracord from my dock for 10 weeks and the turtles and small fish cleaned it up nicely. I didn't even skin this one.

21. I wrap the antlers, then stick the skull in a Fire Ant bed. I prefer not to bleach them. I keep a natural tone look.

22. Tex N7 says:

Thanks Allie!! Have a great weekend and give Abbie a big hug for us<3

23. Rick Ross says:

Why bury it? Wouldn't bugs get to it easier on top of the ground?

24. Allie, as always , I enjoyed the video. We always used to just cap our deer heads. I still have 3 or 4 in my garage just layig around. LOL. Thanks for sharing.

25. ADK Ed says:

Hey Allie! Luv your channel…Keep up the good work…I did a European mount from my buck in 2016…I put it in the ground right after shooting it in Oct and I kept it there until Apr/May 2017…I loved the result (Very little left on it and very little smell that washed right off with the hose) and I have no desire to paint it as I like the natural look…One word of advice is if you are from a northern area like I am (Adirondacks NY) I would hold off burying the head until spring…I found that with the ground shifting from frost, the small delicate bones broke such as a around the end of the nose…Also to help with the hair that was left like yours had, bury the head completely…

26. dale b says:

As of your last video Abbie is now the "Star" with all of the paw prints in the snow I know she was helping why only a quick 3 second shot of her. We do expect more Abbie time.
    Dale

27. Buried my elk head for 4 months and turned out perfect after boiling and soaking in peroxide

28. Vital Point says:

Pressure wash them to remove the inside crud.

29. Nice! thanks for sharing ๐ŸฆŒ๐ŸฆŒ๐Ÿ‘

30. I usually hang it on a tree and the jays and squirrels go ham!

31. I've done this several times with good results but I'd recommend he completely cover the skull with dirt with just the antlers sticking out. Keeps critters from getting to it, too!

32. I like this vid it was really cool thanks for doing this โœŒ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿค™

33. H Phillips says:

I completely cover the skull with dirt and 6 months later it is completely clean. Rinse the dirt off and place in direct sunlight a few months will turn it white

34. Nice Allie! Yeah burying is a legitimate option. I have had great success burying and getting skulls in great condition that no one would know were buried. Love the the channel! ~ Hunter

35. pickin4you says:

The trick is to bury the antlers, and leave the skull out in the open for the insects to eat on it and clean it off. It was done backwards. The antlers are to be wrapped with a heavy trash bag and buried, and leave the skull out to be eaten on.

36. frank Farris says:

Ant hill works best

37. Trevor Gomez says:

Yo Allie, here's how you do it. During the boiling process add a 1/2 cup of Oxy Clean. It will turn the skull tissue/meat to jello. Take a knife when the skull is warm and scrape off any remaining tissue/meat. After you rinse and cool the skull get 8 bottles of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Submerge the ENTIRE SKULL up to the antler base in the 3% hydrogen peroxide. Take the skull out after 4-5 days. Let air dry and the peroxide will continue to whiten the skull after drying. It will come out bone-white if you do it this way. I have even done black bear skulls this way.

38. Hi. My name is Felix. I really love your videos. I give you a lot of credit for doing what you do.

39. I wish you lots of luck.

40. after digging it up you still need to lightly boil it with dawn dish soap to remove the remaining oils in the bone. it comes clean In 10 minutes.

41. ColtonAvery says:

Why in the heck did you wait a year๐Ÿ˜‚

42. Cat M says:

I vermacompost (composting using worms) which my hubs thought was super weird lol. Then he buried a deer head in it just to see if they will clean it. We will see!

43. jorge rocha says:

Great video, keep up the great work! Cheers from Ontario.